01 09 10

Monday 24 March 2014

little silver fishes

My newest obsession:

sardines.


Stuffed with protein, omega-3 and vitamin D they are the ideal seafood eats. Plus! because they are small and on the lower end of the food chain, mercury is pretty much non-existent in these little fellas.

Sardines are one of the best sources of heart-healthy, mood-boosting omega-3 fats, and they’re packed with vitamin D. And because sardines are small and low on the food chain, they don’t harbor lots of toxins as bigger fish can.
These little munchkins are crazy good for you. 

But I hated them at one point.
Why?
The taste. The smell.

Growing up, Dad would eat them straight from the can although Mum has always been revolted by even the mention of the word "sardine". Mumma's distaste for them rubbed off on me and I could not understand how anybody could think of consuming them, let alone enjoying the flavour.

But I have now been converted. Researching healthy dishes, particularly those involving seafood that do not contain high percentages of mercury, sardines kept popping up again and again. Realizing that these little nuggets were packed full of nutrients, I though I may as well give them a shot... and what do you know, I didn't actually mind the taste. Ok, so maybe I didn't die from delight in the overall experience, but they weren't anywhere near as bad as I remembered. (perhaps knowing the absolute goodness they contained helped my taste buds on a little)

They are now an integral part of my diet and I eat them at least twice a week either in salads or with avo on toast.

I buy mine canned in either extra virgin olive oil or simply water. I've found that the slightly more expensive brands to be significantly nicer than the homebrands. I'm keen to buy some fresh to experiment with.

These are one of my favouritest foods at the moment, mainly because of their extreme goodiness for the body, but now I'm actually partial to the taste! I never thought I would admit that.

xx



4 comments:

  1. Hmm, I can't say that I've ever tried them, but honestly, the thought of just eating them out of a tin is revolting. *shudder*
    Are they really that good for you??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably wont like them (knowing your disdain for all things fishy), but if you can digest them without to much trouble they are sooo super nutritious!

      Delete
  2. I love sardines!!! :D
    Actually, I always have. (even before Narnia... actually was there a time in my life before Narnia? no... but before I thought about them being in Narnia! ;)
    Same... Mum finds them revolting... but Dad has always loved them... and eaten them straight out of the can! So, me and my brothers followed suit! xD
    However, he would get the cans with tomato sauce... which I guess saltily and sugarly downs the health a little... still, 'tis delicious!
    Yay for changing taste buds!
    (I was actually going to have them at my Narnia party, but - heh heh x) - Emily was... opposed... to it :D )
    ~Gwyn Fitzherbert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes knowing Lucy loves sardines defs has helped me along (the quote from the movie has been hear more than once since my fascination with them :)
      Cant say I enjoy them straight from the can yet... maybe they taste nicer in the tomato sauce.
      I probs wouldnt have eaten them at your party either... its only been in the last month or two that my love for them has truly blossomed ;)
      xx

      Delete